Friday, March 4, 2011

Collagraph Prints



Today, my blog won't let me add pictures.
I am not happy at all.


Anyways, I was going to post a few pictures of what I've been working on for the past few days. It's called collagraphy, and no, that is not calligraphy spelled wrong, although they do sound a little similar. I don't think collagraphy is very well known, at least, I had never heard of it before a workshop I went to. So, in case you're wondering what it is, here is a definition:


A collagraph is a relief print pulled from a "plate" that is made by placing textured materials on a surface.


Basically, it is a print made of a collage. The collage is supposed to be made of various materials to make it very textured, and when a print is made, the textures show up in the ink and create varying shades and values. 


The few prints that I did didn't turn out exactly as I wanted, most likely because we didn't have the correct consistency of ink and it was my first time experimenting with this type of print. I don't want to give up with the piece though, so I have been experimenting with different ink colors and adding watercolor and colored pencil to the print after it has dried. So far, the result has been fairly decent, and I think I'm going to use a watercolor technique on my final one. 




Here is a link that I found pretty helpful for more information about collagraph printing. 

1 comment: